Saturday, May 10, 2014

Technology in Special Education

Technology opens up a whole new world for special education students.  There are so many neat devices and programs available to enhance learning. 

Technology assists students with disabilities by making learning fun and interactive.  Websites like BrainPop use technology to make the learning process engaging.  Their website has some great suggestions for ways to utilize the website in the classroom.  There is even a section for ESL students.  I also found a number of teacher testimonials as to how well BrainPop works for them and their students.

One teacher said, "I have never seen any educational site as well put together as Brain Pop. The content selection is great. The user interface is simple. The information is well assembled. The supporting documents are easy to use, and very helpful. The videos are great and the students enjoy the way the stories are told. Most definitely worth it." 


A website like BrainPop may be just what a struggling student needs.  The lessons cover an incredible amount of different materials and they all correlate directly to learning standards.  The lessons and activities also make practicing and studying fun. 

2 comments:

  1. BrainPop would have been real nice all those years ago when I was the sub in special ed for the year at Beecher. I struggled sometimes with finding ways to engage my students. It's nice to see technology being put to great use with a student population that is often difficult to engage on a regular basis. I was amazed by the breadth of the lessons covered by BrainPop. And it's fun to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this website! I had never heard of it before. I loved how easy it was to use and how much material it covered. I checked out the math section-mostly because I am terrible at math and I wanted to see if it could help a helpless cause. I found it to be very engaging and very clearly laid out. This would be perfect for students of any grade level and also of any intelligence level.

    ReplyDelete